The only sure method of shutting an engine down is to cut off the intake air. AMOT's SpeedTrap Intake Air Shut off Valve does just that.
Air Intake Shut Off Valve - Emergency
shut down valve
Butterfly style valve used to positively seal off intake air to engine for emergency shutdown/stopping runaway diesel engines. Choose manual, electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic operation.
ORDER INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE BY CALLING TOLL FREE 1-877-244-4883.
Three key ingredients are required in order for combustion to occur in an engine - a fuel source, air and an ignition source. Take any one of these three elements away and the engine will stop running. But in some instances it is not that simple, especially with diesel engines. Diesel runaway can occur even when the primary fuel source is shut off and hydrocarbon vapors are present.
Turning off the ignition will not stop diesel runaway for the simple reason that diesel engines use compression ignition, not spark plugs. De-energizing the fuel solenoid valve will not stop runaway because the hydrocarbon vapors are introduced to the engine along with the intake air. And disengaging the engine's load will only accelerate the runaway.
The only sure method of shutting the engine down is to cut off the intake air. AMOT's SpeedTrap Intake Air Shutoff Valve does just that.
Here is how it works:
A magnetic pick-up sends RPM signal to a speed switch. When the RPM indicates a runaway condition, the speed switch trips activating a 3-way solenoid vale and closes the air shut off valve.
HERE IS HOW TO CHOOSE
YOUR CORRECT VALVE:
read through the below to determine your correct valve - then
click this link to get the correct part number: CLICK
1. What is the diameter of the
2.8" - 3.5" - 4.0" -
5.5" - 7.0" - 8.0"
2. What material would
you like the valve made of?
• Aluminum/Buna N (STANDARD)
• Aluminum/Viton (OPTIONAL)
3. How would you like your
valve to be controlled?
Electric? (how many volts available? 12 or
24) - Pneumatic? Manual?
4. Would you like an
emergency shutdown button? The momentary button is
normally mounted on the cab of the truck or equipment pane.
IN ADDITION TO THE AMOT AIR INTAKE SHUT OFF VALVE YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING AMOT PARTS –
1. ELECTRONIC SPEED SWITCH SENSOR - AMOT PART NUMBER 8210J
• The Electronic Speedswitch monitors engine RPM via the AMOT Magnetic pick-up
(AMOT PART NUMBER 11408) mounted on the engine’s flywheel housing. An alternator signal is also an acceptable speed signal source. When the RPM’s exceed the switch’s set point, the switch trips, sending an electric signal to the AMOT AIR INTAKE SHUT OFF VALVE and shuts the engine down.
2. MAGNETIC PICK-UP – AMOT PART NUMBER 11408
• The Magnetic Pick-up Sensor is designed for diesel truck engine use along with the Electronic Speed Switch Sensor. A permanent magnet built into the sensor provides a magnetic field at the base of the sensor. As each tooth of the flywheel passes through the magnetic field, a signal (voltage pulse) is generated. This signal is sent to the Electronic Speed Switch for monitoring.
3. ELECTRONIC SPEEDSWITCH INSTALLATION KIT – AMOT PART NUMBER 8210J
• This kit includes the normally open the momentary push button switch, toggle switch and cover and shielded cables. The kit also includes labels.
FOR PNEUMATICALLY OPERATED SYSTEMS YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE FOLLOWING AMOT PART –
3-WAY SOLENOID AIR VALVE – AMOT PART NUMBER 10424X
• The 3-Way Solenoid Air Valve is used to link the truck’s air supply and the AMOT Air Intake Shutoff Valve in applications where the truck might encounter off-road service or extreme vibrations. Pressure will be sent through port “P” to port “A” which will close the Air Intake Shutoff Valve. When de-energized, pressure will be vented through port “A” to port “E”.
Advantages of the AMOT SpeedTrap include:
- Easy installation
- Corrosive resistant, anodized aluminum and stainless steel construction
- Uses a Butterfly Valve design
- Can be used as a stand-alone valve or in a complete runaway shut down system.
- Remote reset capability
- Available in manual, pneumatic, electric or hydro mechanical actuation
The AMOT SpeedTrap is used in the following applications:
- Bulk Transporters Combustible Chemicals - Aircraft Refuelers - Gasoline - Propane - Hazardous Waste.
- Construction/Industrial Trenchers - Gas Co. Service Trucks - Sewage Pumpers - Hazmat Spill Recovery Trucks - Mining Equipment - Boring Equipment
- Industrial/Stationary On/Off Shore Compressors, Gensets, Welders and Firepumps. (offshore as required by MMS CRF 250.80 & 250.100)
- Oil Field Drilling Rigs Mud Trucks - Wireline Feeders - Frac Tankers - Crude Haulers - Welders - Natural Gas Condensate Haulers
- Marine Oil Spill Recovery Vessels - Tugs/Support Vessels/Tenders - Pleasure Craft
- Emergency Vehicles Fire trucks ( as recommended by NFPA 1901 - 1904) - Municipal - Airport - Military - Petro Chemical/ process - Hazmat Spill Recovery Trucks
|P.C. McKenzie Company|
P.O. Box 112638
Pittsburgh, PA 15241
|P.C. McKenzie Company
1365 McLaughlin Run Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15241